Whenever I make an apple pie or any recipe that calls for peeled apples, I can’t resist making a batch of baked apple peel chips with the leftover apple peels. They are so sweet and tasty. They are easy to make, just follow the instructions here on how to make yummy baked apple peel chips. They are so much healthier for you than deep-fried potato chips and less waste.
These are a great addition to a hot bowl of oatmeal or added to muffins or your favourite cookie recipe. For a real treat, top a couple of scoops of ice cream with them and drizzle some caramel sauce over them. YUM!
This recipe is easy and quick
For this recipe I used the peels from an apple pie recipe. The peels were from 8 cups of peeled apples. If you have fewer apple peels, just cut the recipe in half.
How to make Yummy Baked Apple Peel Chips
Ingredients you will need
- Apple peels
- granulated sugar
- ground cinnamon
Kitchen supplies needed for this recipe
- Baking pan(s)
- parchment paper
- mixing bowl
The mixing bowls we use are stainless steel or a good quality BPA-free plastic one with a non-slip bottom. . We find them easy to use and lightweight (and they never break) For your spatula, use a silicone one that does not scratch your baking pans. a small bowl, mix the cinnamon and sugar. If you don’t already have the equipment needed, you can get the items you need through the link above.
Want to save this for later?
Join us on Pinterest Follow us and pin it for later. https://www.pinterest.ca/BakerStreetLiving/
Instructions for making Baked Apple Peel Chips
Baked Apple Peel Chips
- baking pan
- Apple peels
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven too 375° F
- In a small bowl, mix the cinnamon and sugar.
- n a large Ziploc bag pour in your apple peels. Pour in the sugar mixture and seal the bag.
- Give the bag a good shaking until all the peels are covered with the sugar mixture.
- Spread the apple pieces onto a parchment lined (or foil lined) baking tray.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes, turning about half way through with a spatula.
- Remove from oven. With a spatula place the peels on a wire baking rack and let cool and dry.
NITE – I have also made these with half of the sugar and they are equally as good. If you prefer a less sweet chip, cut the sugar in half. Can also be made with brown Sugar twin sweetener. Use the amount that the package states are equivalent to the recipe amount.
Where to use your apple peel chips
these apple peel chips are great, not just for eating alone but you can add them to other dishes for a little extra flavour. Such as:
- Add to a bowl of oatmeal (delicious on apple cinnamon oatmeal
- Add to a bowl of granola
- Add to muffins before baking for flavour
- Add to the top of muffins with a little syrup. such as honey (cut them into small pieces)
- Add to a greens salad, with spinach, feta, blueberries and your favourite dressing.
- Add as a topper on pancakes, drizzled with maple syrup
- Add on waffles with whip cream and warm apple pie filling
- Cut into small pieces and add to ice cream and drizzle with syrup or a bit of applied pic filling
- Cut into small pieces and mix with whip cream and use to top hot chocolate or mulled cider.
I am sure you can think of many other dishes to add these little treats to. They are a great treat for kids, after school instead of potato chips or other fried snacks.
How to store your baked Apple Peel Chips
Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container or a Ziploc bag. Apple peel chips can also be frozen for use later.
Check out our recipe for Stacked High Apple Pie https://bakerstreetliving.com/grandmas-stacked-high-apple-pie/
Thank You for visiting Baker Street Living!
Sign up below and get more great recipes and crafting ideas delivered to your inbox monthly.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. We receive a small commission when purchases are made through our links. Thank you for your support.