Autumn is such a beautiful time of year. the leaves are changing and the pumpkins are ready for decorating with and carving. These beautiful sweater pumpkins are budget-friendly and simple to make. You can use up an old out-of-style sweater or pick up one in the thrift store in your favourite colour to match your decor when you make beautiful sweater pumpkins.
The fabric of the sweater doesn’t matter as long as it is stretchy and not too sheer. For the project illustrated here, we have used an off-white wool sweater and a light blue polyester sweater.
Do you want to save this project for later – follow us on Pinterest and save it for later https://www.pinterest.ca/BakerStreetLiving/_created/
What you need to make your own beautiful sweater pumpkins
- foam pumpkins
- sweater or fabric
- stick or pipe cleaner for the stem
- faux leaves
- faux berries or raffia
- elastic lace (optional)
- tacky glue
Steps in making your beautiful sweater pumpkins
- Spray your pumpkins with some white spray paint, so that the color doesn’t show through your fabric or sweater. Let dry
- Poke a hole in the top where the stem goes and in the bottom center
- cut a rectangle of the sweater fabric to a size that will fit around your pumpkin.
- Put a dab of glue into the hole on the top of the pumpkin.
- Start poking the fabric into the hole with your pencil.
- Put a dab of glue into the hole on the bottom of the pumpkin.
- Pull the sweater snuggly over the side, keeping it straight and poke the fabric in the bottom hole.
- Continue working around the pumpkin, alternating from the top to boot, keeping the sweater snug and straight.
- Trim off any excess sweater if needed.
- once the pumpkin is completely covered and the sweater is snug, place a dab of glue in the top, where the stem will go.
- Optional elastic lace – If you would like a more defined line in your pumpkin, you can use clear elastic lace, wrapping it around following the indents in the pumpkin and tying a knot in the bottom, where it won’t be seen.
- Stick your stem (stick piece) into the hole with glue and add any leaves or raffia on top. (don’t worry, the glue will dry clear)
- Let dry completely.
- You are now ready to use them in your decor.
Check out one of our Awesome Halloween series of Kid-Friendly Halloween Treat Bags. So cute and easy to make and even more fun to hand out to friends and family.
3 ways to show off your sweater pumpkins
This first idea uses a drywall mud tray as a container to hold your decor piece. It can be used as a centrepiece or on a side table, or entry table.
#1 Elegant Centerpiece
This centrepiece uses a drywall mud tray. It is a steel tray, that has a chrome look. It is elongated which goes nicely on a sideboard, entry table or a centrepiece on a dining table.
The drywall mud tray is leak-proof and is the perfect size for making a centrepiece arrangement. They are available at your local building centers, such as Home Depot and Lowes.
What is used in this centrepiece.
- drywall mud tray ( preferable a shiny steel one as in the picture
- Floral foam
- silk sunflowers and silk leaves on stems
- wooden skewers
..…..Supplies used in these projects……….
Steps to assemble:
- Cut floral foam and place it into the tray, making sure it fits snugly.
- Trim all of your silk flowers and leave stems so that they are the right length for the arrangement.
- insert a wooden skewer sharp end into the bottom of your beautiful sweater pumpkins.
- Trim wooden skewers to the proper length for the arrangement.
- arrange as desired.
- it will look best if there is a high point in the middle and tapers down to the sides and some leaves trail over the ends ( as in pic)
#2 Rustic Centerpiece
This rustic wheelbarrow design is inexpensive and goes together in minutes. The wheelbarrow was purchased at the dollar store, for $3.00
What is used in this rustic centrepiece
- Rustic wheelbarrow, or similar rustic item,
- Floral foam
- Spanish moss
- mini-bales of straw
- wooden skewers
- beautiful sweater pumpkins
Steps to assemble:
- Cut floral foam to fit into the wheelbarrow. Leave a little space around the sides for the Spanish moss.
- add Spanish moss on top and around sides of floral foam. let a little moss stick out the side of the wheelbarrow.
- insert skewers into pumpkins
- start arranging your pumpkins and flowers by sticking them into foam.
- When using on a side table, add a couple of mini bales of straw with a couple of pumpkins sitting beside the wheelbarrow.
- It is now ready to use as a centrepiece or side table decor piece.
#3. Easy Lantern filled with beautiful sweater Pumpkins
This is so easy. You can have it set ready to go in 5 minutes or less. Show off your beautiful handmade creations.
- Use an empty tall lantern or your favourite decorative large bowl.
- Place a thin layer of Spanish moss in the bottom.
- place your pumpkins in the lantern, alternating with leaves and flowers, until it is the desired height.
- display on a sideboard or in the center of the table, or even outside with a battery operated tealight in it on a covered porch.
Three beautiful ways to show off your talents, while enjoying the beauty of autumn with these easy to make beautiful sweater pumpkins.
Thanks for visiting Baker Street Living. Happy Crafting!
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. Thank you for your support.